Early morning bargains at Kivukoni Fish Market

These shots were taken on an early morning visit to the hustling bustling Kivukoni Fish Market on Ocean Road in the heart of Dar Es Salaam. It’s a great snippet of Tanzanian life with fishermen and house dadas haggling at full volume over an unbelievable selection of fish and crustaceans. We brought two very large, very snappy crabs (still snapping as you can see from the photo below) and a pile of huge tiger prawns.

IMG_2937
Early morning light at Kivukoni Fish Market

IMG_2942crop
Buying and Selling at Kivukoni Fish Market in Dar Es Salaam

IMG_2934
Fresh catch at Kivukoni Fish Market

IMG_2930
Haggling over some live and very snappy crabs at Kivukoni Fish Market

IMG_2927
Fresh tiger prawns at Kivukoni Fish Market

1. Your photos are fabulous of the hustle and bustle of Kivukoni Fish Market, really stunning shots! Thank you for sharing 🙂

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thank you so much – it was the hustle and bustle I was aiming to capture in my photographs 🙂

2. Travelquartz says:

Dar Es Salaam , saw in documentaries , nice pictures !

3. I am not too good at negotiating and bargaining. So it’s nice to come across this post. Hope to get some tips and apply them successfully.

1. Ali Dunnell says:

I am dreadful at bargaining – I always pay way too much – but I hopefully try to walk away with some good photos or ideas for some paintings 🙂

4. findworldsbeauty says:

Looks like a great fish market, certainly a good stop in Tanzania, thanks for sharing !

1. Ali Dunnell says:

If you visit Dar Es Salaam it is a really good place to visit to sample a snippet of Tanzanian life 🙂

5. What a wonderful post, it reminds me of my days back in the Philippines, where you always need to be friendly to the salesman to get lower prices (hahah) technique revealed. Love those fresh seafood out from the buckets fishermen. One of those experience I would love to bring back.

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thank you. Friendliness is pretty much the ticket into most things! The Philippines must have a fascinating place to visit – it’s on my list 🙂 Thanks fro stopping by my page and commenting too. Ali

6. roamonurown says:

Although i am pure vegetarian, but i always like the hustle and bustle in fish market!! The way business happens in fish market is worth capturing! Varieties of fishes and bargaining over them is quite an exciting part 😛 Superb there!!

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thanks for appreciating the experience even though you’re a vegetarian 🙂

7. Frank says:

wow, a lot of fishes over there, i wonder if there is many fishes kinds or just one kind ?, great post!

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Dar Es Salaam is well know for having an amazing selection of fish – and this market seems to sell everything! Thanks for stopping by my blog 🙂

8. Page_Traveller says:

Great pictures! Would love to see Tanzania. Thanks for sharing.

9. Amy Morgan says:

I love experiencing local markets, there’s always such an abundance of delicious goodies at them and those tiger prawns are MASSIVE!

1. Ali Dunnell says:

They are absolutely huge – Dar Es Salaam really is a fish lovers paradise!