Buying and Selling Bananas in Kenya

Women selling bananas in Kisii, Kenya
Women buying and selling bananas in Kisii, Kenya

This is my latest painting, a watercolour of a group of women buying and selling bananas and mangoes at a street-side market in Kisii, a town in south-west Kenya. The painting was done from a quick sketch I did some months ago while travelling from Mwanza in Tanzania to Nairobi.

1. lenalimhamn says:

Remember Kisii…40 years ago…travelling Dar, Serengeti, Mwanza, Kisumu, Nairobi, Mombasa, Tanga, Dar. Are tee plantations still around Kisii? Love your pics and all fantastic art!

1. alidunnell says:

I’m sure a lot will have changed in 40 years, especially in the larger towns and cities. But there is still plenty of tea grown in the highlands around Kisii. Glad you’re enjoying my art work. Ali

1. lenalimhamn says:

Big changes. Yes we have seen changes in Dar, Moshi, Arusha, Kibiti, Rufiji, Zanzibar last 4 years. Savann and grasslands are now farms, maize and cabbage…When we stayed in Dar, for 5 years, in the 70s we were 300 000. Now 5 or 6 millions! Thank you ag. I follow!

2. PalHachi~ says:

I love the use of color here to help represent the locale and also the beautiful use of curved lines.

3. I love this! It portrays how colorful and yet simple life can be over there. The way of life is so admirable. Beautiful artwork!

1. alidunnell says:

Thank you so much. Ali

4. bekasjournal says:

Beautiful art work, reminds me of the many times I have traveled through Kisii, never forgot to purchase a bunch of bananas for myself..