Matemwe Beach – Far Away in Time

At 31 degrees centigrade and with a hotch potch of people who frequent it, Matemwe Beach is a melting-pot in every sense of the word.

Between sunrise and sunset the beach, situated on the northeast coastline of Zanzibar, becomes a hive of activity with scores of Zanzibari women wearing bright coloured kangas wading into shallow water to collect seaweed, young children wearing next to nothing running around using the beach as their playground, backpackers in wetsuits in search of the ultimate diving experience, fishermen waiting for the tide to go out so they can fish in their traditional wooden dhows, Masai men in red-checked shukas selling jewellery, groups of local young men playing football and wealthy tourists heading to the nearby private $1,500-a-night Mnemba island to ‘get away from it all’.

With its palm tree fringed beaches, dazzling white sand, turquoise sea and vast expanse of sapphire blue sky, you can understand why Matemwe attracts so much attention.

My family and I spent a few days here, on Zanizibar’s longest beach, just before Christmas, soaking up the atmosphere, gazing out across the coral reef Indian Ocean and eating amazing sea-food, courtesy of the cooks at our accommodation, Mohammads’ Bugalows. We even went snorkelling with shoals of angelfish, zebrafish, trumpetfish and black snappers, in the clearest water I have ever seen.

Call me a romantic fool, or a more accurately a new-romantic fool, but while I was sitting on the beach I couldn’t get the lyrics of Martha and the Muffins’s Echo Beach out of my mind…  Matemwe Beach is indeed far away in time.

Here are a few of my photographs from this beautiful place.

Girl on Matemwe Beach, Zanzibar
Palm trees at sunset on Matemwe Beach, Zanzibar

1. lenalimhamn says:

Really enjoy your texts and pics! Thanks! And A Happy New Year 2017

1. alidunnell says:

Thank you lenalimhamn. Happy New Year and all the best for 2017. Ali

2. Lea Peters says:

Having lived in Africa most of my life (some of it in Tanzania), I totally understood your pictures. Africa is breathtakingly beautiful. I never tire of seeing pictures of the continent I love. Awesome

1. alidunnell says:

Thanks Lea. It really is such a beautiful place. And I love the fact that everyday brings it’s own unexpected events. Ali

3. Naomi Byrnes says:

Bonus soundtrack running through our heads as we look at the pics. I can see why the line ‘far away in time’ came to mind. Thanks for the glimpse

Liked by 2 people

1. alidunnell says:

I completely agree… one of my favourite songs of all time. Glad you like the pictures too. Ali

4. Chaleur, des coeurs, couleurs, humeur, bonheur, des coeurs.

Liked by 2 people

1. alidunnell says:

Thanks ‘the Author’. I’ll check out the site. Ali

5. wajihaa17 says:

No words to describe the beauty of nature and Africa

Liked by 2 people

1. alidunnell says:

I agree… Which is why I am always with my camera or sketch book. Ali

6. Brilliant! Thank you for sharing!

1. alidunnell says:

I’m glad you enjoyed it. Ali

1. alidunnell says:

Glad you enjoyed it! Ali

7. shahntay says:

Beautiful post, and I love your set up. It is really easy to find all of your post, I love the graphics and your art. Thank you for sharing your gift to the world, and thanks for allowing me to view. Check me out too…I’m a artist too, but more so of a makeup artist lol. But hit me up at http://www.brownsugarglam.com. I am actually getting ready to have my website branded and all…just to be taken serious. Thanks.

Liked by 2 people

1. alidunnell says:

Thanks for the positive comments. I will be sure to have a look around your site too. Ali

8. donnadmunro says:

Hi Ali, I just reposted on my blog http://www.warmwittywords.com.au. I’m an Australian writer who is in the final stages of publishing my novel The Zanzibar Moon. These photos and post has given me more insight into the beautiful exotic location. I’m glad you are a bit of a romantic because my book is a quirky romance. I still need readers of my last draft, so if you had time I’d love your opinion. I’ve used my imagination but you’ve been to Zanzibar. Please go to my contact page if you’re interested. Thanks so much.

Liked by 2 people

1. alidunnell says:

Thanks donna. I will have a look. I can’t promise to proof read an entire draft but if you would like to send me a brief outline I would be happy to read it and give you some feedback. What made you choose Zanzibar? Ali

9. lekwa ifeanyi says:

Beautiful scenery and crisp pictures. I love your work

1. alidunnell says: