My Pen and Ink City Panoramas

A few years ago when I was going through a minimalist phase I did lots of simple pen and ink sketches, trying to capture faces, places and buildings in just a few black lines, by reducing everything back to its basic elements.

Part of this project included a series of panoramic sketches I did of some of my favourite places I have visited on my travels. These pictures are simplified views of cities, drawn mostly from my imagination but also using ideas and images from doodles in my travel journals and photographs.

To be honest, I seem to be in a bit of a void at the moment and suffereing from a bit of painter’s block. So, in an attempt to kick start my creativity and inspire me to produce some art, I have been looking through old sketchbooks and portfolios and revisiting some of my old ideas. And it was here I came across these images again, and I had forgotten how much I liked them.

So I decided I would share them on here… just to see what reaction they got.

Which ones do you like? Do you think any work really well? I am thinking about adding some sewing to them and doing some in embroidery – Do you think it would work? Let me know… I’m waiting for your feedback!

Ali

1. walfischbucht says:

Very nice concept. My favourites are La Paz, Luang Prabang, Manchester and Havana. I would not add too much, though. IMHO they do work very well as they are now.

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thanks so much for your feedback. I really liked them as they too, but I may have a go sewing a couple… just to see. Ali

2. lenalimhamn says:

Love your art! Thanks for sharing!

3. I really like the Havana, Cuba drawing!

Thanks Esmee… I always wanted to turn that one into a bigger image. Ali

4. I love these. I recently started a doodle travel journal and have been doing some similar cityscape things, but with a flash of color. Thanks for the continued inspiration!

1. Ali Dunnell says:

That sounds really interesting, I hope you share them on on site soon. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting. Ali

5. This is such a stunning collection of drawings, Ali! With a couple of simple black lines and fillings, you’ve managed to capture the soul of each place. I used to sketch and draw a lot, but that was more than 15 years ago. Your blog truly inspires me to pick it up again.

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Oh Please do – I am also a teacher and I love inspiring people to do more art work. Get yourself a small sketchbook a decent pencil, rubber and pen, and rekindle your interest in art… I love it 🙂

6. Those are some amazing sketches! I’m a big fan of pen to paper art, so I truly admire your creativeness here! Lovely perspective!

Thanks for your positive feedback Jin Chu Ferrer 🙂

7. LOVE LOVE LOVE. You should start an Instagram of just your sketches.

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thanks Laura – my instagram is a mish mash of paintings, photographs and sketches, a bit like this… I wish I had the time to separate them all out. I’ll just have to lump them all together for the moment, thanks for your positive feedback though 🙂

8. Emily Hines says:

These are really nice. I love the one with columns and checkered background. Would love to see what these would look like embroidered too!

1. Ali Dunnell says:

I think the one you liked was Damascus. I shall have to give the embroidery a go 🙂

9. suzystories says:

These are so beautiful! I love spotting the familiar sights mixed in with some daily life sketches too. I really enjoy the simplicity of the drawings as they are, but would be keen to see how they turn out if you were to sew them too!

Thanks for your imput Suzy, I think I am going to have a go 🙂

10. Sarah says:

I love these , but my favourites are Istanbul and London. I love the details.

11. Candiss says:

I really love these! They are very cool and would be so great as embroidered pieces! I always love stitched art that is done in a unique way for the craft!

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thanks for this. I have been recently working on a meditation cushion for my husband, where I did some embroidery. I think I am going to give it a go on these designs 🙂

12. Olivia says:

These are amazing. You should transfer them to digital art and sell them! I especially love the Manchester, UK and Havana, Cuba ones!

1. Ali Dunnell says:

I have just set up a couple of shops with Red Bubble and Society6 (check out my shop page for more info https://travelswithmyart.com/shop/) , so I think I will add some of these to my designs. Thanks for your positive response. Ali

13. I love your drawing for Lisbon!!! Such a cool diary to publish. Thanks for sharing!

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your positive response 🙂

14. Marvi says:

Wow.. These are amazing sketches! Your sketches of Istanbul, Banaras and Manchester really caught my eye.. Would be lovely to see these with embroidery and sewing! 🙂

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thanks – I have had lots of response from fellow bloggers wanting to see them done in embroidery, so I think I am going to give them a go 🙂

15. JC says:

I actually love the minimalism of these drawings. In my bedroom, I have one walk primarily made up of travel-focused painting/photos/quotes- these would be an amazing addition, definitely something I’d purchase.

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thanks for letting me know. I’ll add some to the shops I’m designing for… check out my shop page and hopefully there will be something on there for you soon. 🙂

16. Karen says: