Back to the drawing board

After recently leaving my teaching post in Dar Es Salaam to move to Nairobi for my husband’s new job, I now find myself ‘in between jobs’ and consequently at a rather interesting crossroads in my life.

The million dollar question, well, million shilling question is this: Do I continue with teaching Art and English or do try to make a living out of my art?

I enjoy teaching, I can always find work and it brings in regular money, but it doesn’t satisfy me creatively. I love doing painting, photography and textiles, and have generated a lot of interest in my art over the last few years, but it is a huge risk financially trying to ‘be’ an artist. To be honest I don’t even think I know what ‘being an artist’ actually means let alone know how I would go about being one and/ or how I would go about making a living being one.

What I do know, however, as both a teacher and a student of art, is that the best way to improve your art skills is to regularly practise different techniques. I am aware of the fact that procrastination is the enemy of both time and success.

So bearing that in mind, for the time being, while I update my CV and put feelers out into the Nairobi Art scene, I have been polishing up my art skills.

I have decided to go back to the drawing board and focus on my basic shading skills. Everyday, over the last few days, I have done a sketch of an animal from my Tanzanian photographs.

Here are my first few sketches…

1. reviewsbyjc says:

Great work, love the dragonfly!

Thanks… They are so beautiful

2. barbdsykes says:

I loved the giraffe. All the pictures are beautiful. Thank you for sharing your honest feelings about your crossroad – creativity or familiarity perhaps both

1. Ali Dunnell says:

3. I think they are beautiful. Good luck with figuring out the change.

4. Ali you need to find a new teaching job, save the money earned for a rainy day as it were. One never knows what the future holds in life and with saved money behind you you can provide some security for your beautiful family. Your art speaks for itself so you don’t need to sharpen your skills. Use your teaching profession to improve any skills to the benefit of your students. Keep up the good work, Good luck.
    Jimmy Australia

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thanks for your advice Jimmy – my cv is already circulating around Nairobi. The problem I always have is because I am now working abroad, they often want me to work full time which, when I am looking after my three kids too, leaves me very little time for creativity. The best thing would be part time work – but I’ll have to see what options I have. Ali

5. Pia says:

the paintings are stunning. Great job

6. Esther Zaga says:

good luck on figuring out your choise, I think you should get a teaching job!, I loved the paintings, specially the zebra!

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thanks for your advice Esther – I am in the process of sending out my CV for jobs, but in the meantime, doing lots of blogging and artwork. Ali

7. Good luck to you. I hope you can find a way to do the art, you are very talented.

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thank you for visiting Anisa and Katherine and thanks for the positive feedback. Ali

8. I lov your blog post. i was traveling Kodaikanal few days back and the pine forest caught my fancy. I ended up sketching them on a sheet. i shall preserve them forever. Your paintings are so real and beautiful. Absolutely adore them!

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. I really do love art so much and have built up my travel sketchbooks over the past 20 years, I feel like now is the time to try and turn them into ‘proper’ art, whatever that is 🙂 Ali

9. I really like the cheetah. Lovely sketches!

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thank you for visiting Victoria and thanks for the positive feedback. Ali

10. Anna says:

Such pretty drawings! The dragonfly is my favorite.

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thank you for visiting Anna and thanks for the positive feedback. Ali

11. Wow, gorgeous art! You’re so very talented. Best of luck with your decision going forward – pursuing a passion is so exciting!

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thank you Jessica – I just need to keep at the art and then try to make some money from it :)$?

12. Best wishes! I’ve also recently changed careers so completely understand how difficult it can be. It will all work out!

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thanks Big Wide World – At least life is busy!

13. Louise says:

Wow, I love your sketches! I think you should totally try and concentrate on your art for a while – if it doesn’t work out you can go back to teaching any time I should imagine? You’ll never know if you don’t give it a go….and you can always make more money but you can’t make more time 😉 Good luck with whichever decision you make!

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Thank you so much for your kind comment. When you are an ‘artist’ and a teacher nearly always go back to the safe option of a teaching career… maybe this time I will try and keep at my art, maybe exhibit or sell some. But your comment has really put a spring in my step today 🙂

14. I love the cheetah! and think you should do both – Art can be a slow start. Job + side hustle, girl!

1. Ali Dunnell says:

Good advice Nina Danielle – I would really like to get some part time teaching work, which would free up some time for me, while still bringing in some steady cash. Thanks for taking the time to visit my site and for the positive feedback. Ali

15. The zebra is my absolute favorite. I believe you should always follow your bliss (passion). I wish you the best of luck

Thanks for your positive feedback Travel Captain 🙂